These were very formative summers for me, not the least because they served as a proving ground for a budding romance with the man who eventually became my husband.
I worked at the Customer Service counter of a grocery store — which is quite the place to be in the middle of tourist season, I can tell you. Among some of my more momentous life lessons and experiences:
- I met Amy Grant.
- I learned to distinguish at least three distinct variations of Mississippi Southern accent.
- I rode out two major tropical storms.
- I had a pregnant woman go into labor while I was ringing up her groceries — and then refuse my offer of help to load her car.
- I learned to intuit with astonishing accuracy the type of cigarettes preferred by almost any given customer. It’s amazing how certain types of people gravitate to certain brands.
- I sold liquor illegally. (I had to relieve the liquor store clerk for her break one day. The store manager apparently didn’t realize I wasn’t 21 at the time.)
- I learned that the thrill of a four-hour, deep sea fishing cruise is greatly diminished by the sensation — not to mention odor — of baiting your hook with squid. Like neoprene rubber covered in snot. Gross.
- It was the general consensus of the locals that Roy Scheider is a creep. I’m just telling you what I heard.
Nevertheless, I have a very soft place in my heart for the Redneck Riviera.
If you share my admiration for white, sugar sand beaches and blue waters, I hope you’ll enjoy this contribution to Kim’s Fourth Annual Cottage Charm Giveaway.
Included in this giveaway is “Beaches of Scenic 30-A,” an original, destination blind-style painting featuring twelve of South Walton’s most beautiful beaches, painted on 12″ x 24″ canvas in a beautiful gray-green acrylic and then distressed for that beachy appeal.
(Sorry about the crummy photos. This is the best I could do on a rainy day…)
Villages listed include: Dune Allen, Santa Rosa Beach, Blue Mountain Beach, Grayton Beach, WaterColor, Seaside, Seagrove Beach, WaterSound, Seacrest, Alys Beach, Rosemary Beach and Inlet Beach.
Leave a comment to this post, including your email AND answering the following question:
“If you could have a destination blind from any city/area in the world, what city/area would you choose?”
TO ENTER A SECOND TIME:
Click here and become a Facebook Fan — or “Liker,” or whatever they’re calling it these days. Every Facebook Fan/Liker will receive an additional entry in the giveaway.
Winner will be announced on May 29th. Don’t forget to include a way to contact you in case you win!
- I will ship within the contiguous United States only.
- Ummmmm … can’t think of any other rules at the moment. But I reserve the right to add or amend them at any time if it suits me.
Thanks and good luck!